Google to push connection security with Chrome 62 in October

The parties involved in the initiative for a safer internet have been quite active in 2016 and 2017 with the introduction of Let’s Encrypt and browser notifications in certain cases, the push for HTTPS is still going with full strength as Google has issued another reminder about the new warning text in Chrome version 62 which will be released in October this year.

According to the letters which Google has sent via their Search Console to all administrators that still have not migrated their website to HTTPS – sites with any kind of text input will require an SSL certificate in order to avoid a “Not Secure” warning in the address bar. This means that even your built-in search field or contact form could activate this warning message.

google search console warning message

In the incognito mode, the change will be ever so strict with the rule of all HTTP pages triggering the warning but it will not stop there:

“Eventually, we plan to show the “Not secure” warning for all HTTP pages, even outside Incognito mode”

Google’s strategy on certain elements regarding security has shifted from rewarding the users for making the change to penalizing them for not making it. With about 60% of all web traffic being served as HTTPS, it is clear that Google wants the other 40% to migrate to the same standards as soon as possible.

search warning in chrome 62

We fully support this change as acquiring and activating an SSL certificate has never been easier while also being free. As you can see from our initial post on Let’s Encrypt, we provide it in our cPanel since the start of 2016 and will keep recommending it to our users. In that post, you can also see how to issue a new certificate with only a click of a button.

Let's Encrypt's location in your cPanel

If you want to migrate your website to HTTPS today but your host does not provide free SSL, just contact us via our live chat and we will be glad to help you out in transferring over and securing your website with us.

Antoniy

Antoniy’s primary goal at FastComet is helping grow our client base through affiliates and strategic partnerships. It is all about statistics analysis, communication with our affiliates, working on various campaigns, searching the web for trends and generating ideas for future projects. You're likely to run across him at some point in the FastComet Community, too because he loves getting in and interacting with our great customers. You can always count on him to come up with strategic ideas for the team and is always searching for the smartest ways to spread our brand and services worldwide.